Sunday, July 3, 2011

Weekly Proverb: Introduction

Why Proverbs?

1. In the past year, I began a new bible reading plan which has included a chapter of Proverbs each day. I found the plan through an article on challies.com, and have found it to be extremely beneficial for my daily devotions. I would encourage you to follow the link and consider utilizing it in your own times in God’s word. Briefly, the reading plan has split the bible into ten sections, resulting in ten chapters per day. One of the ten sections is the book of Proverbs, repeated over and over again. Of course I am hardly perfect at reading each day, and I sometimes will read only five chapters at a time and finish the other five the following day. This has resulted in me reading on average between two to four chapters in Proverbs per week over the past year.

2. This past year has yielded more time in Proverbs for me than the collective whole of my entire life prior. In that time, my heart has reaped a great harvest from spending time in this book. I am often struck by the wisdom of something I have read, and have found myself recording multiple proverbs a week in my journal. I would like to share some of that with you.

My Aim

1. One of my aims by publishing my reflections on a weekly proverb is to grow in my own communication of truth. I desire to grow in my ability to effectively share the truth of God’s word and feel the Proverbs are a great place to start.

2. The second aim I have is to present gospel informed wisdom for life transformation. “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2) I hope I can communicate gospel truth through the proverbs that will serve to transform my mind and the mind of those who read.

My Cautions and Fears

1. The proverbs can at times be taken as simply good advice. I desire to remind us that “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge” (Proverbs 1:7), and that in Him do we find true wisdom. This wisdom is fully culminated in the person and work of Jesus Christ. If it were only for earthly wisdom, this would be a vain effort. May I forever point us upward as we study the wisdom of Proverbs.

2. My own pride and foolishness gives me caution and fear. “Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.” (Proverbs 29:20) My prayer is that I would not be hasty or prideful in my efforts. My I remember with humility the grace I have in Christ, and may it lead me to be humble in my approach.

No comments: